|Retrofitting, modernisation, outfitting, and technical measures in order to reduce the environmental impact
- Irrigation of the dusting areas at the tailings facility with a reinforcing solution of the DUSTBIND treating agent from small aircraft on 616 hectares
- Dust suppression at over 338.4 hectares of open pit roads, tailings facilities and at the crushing and sorting plant with the Bischofite binding agent
- Application of clay soil (using a hydro-mechanical system) to temporarily unused sections #2 and #3 of the tailings facility on 300 hectares (600,000 m3)
- Retrofitting of the pelletising plant. Modernisation of the dust collection system at transhipment sites of open pellet warehouses CO-3-GR-8, CO-2-CO-6 (2018 stage – equipment installation)
- Retrofitting of the 5th and 6th cooling water circuits to ensure the simultaneous operation of five continuous casting machines (final stage, commissioning)
- Installation of a suction system in the limestone screening unit
- Reconstruction of the suction system at the stock houses of Blast Furnaces No. 3 and 4 (drafting of design documentation, choice of equipment supplier)
|All the plans were implemented in full, which made it possible to significantly improve the air quality both inside the enterprises and in nearby regions. All the measures that were carried out have proven to be effective.
For more details, see the sections Material Resources Use, Emissions, Air Protection and Climate Strategy, and Water Consumption and Protection.
- Measures to equip stationary emission sources
- automatic measuring and recording tools for pollutant emissions and/or discharges;
- technical equipment to record and transmit information about pollutant emission and/or discharge indicators.
- Summarising the initial results of the retrofitting conducted in 2018
- Completion of construction and installation work as part of the reconstruction of the granemite emulsion explosive component production facility
|Construction of new facilities
- Construction of a landfill for industrial waste disposal
|Construction of the landfill has commenced and will continue in the new reporting period
Landfill for industrial waste disposal: reconstruction of Landfill Area No. 3; construction of a 100-tonne weigh house
|Reclamation and biodiversity maintenance
- Biological reclamation of a 25 hectare loose overburden dump pit
- Biological reclamation of a 15.8 hectare tailings dam
- Sanitary and hygienic reclamation of tailings dam levees
|Planting of acacias on the territory of the loose dump pits and tailings dam contributed to more dust-forming surfaces
For more details, see the section Maintaining Biodiversity
- Monitoring the vegetation cover at the landfill site
- Development of basic procedures for the comprehensive continuous tracking (monitoring) of the condition and changes in the ecosystem of the Yamskaya Steppe and its components
- Final (mining) reclamation of the landfill for the production and consumption waste of OEMK (2nd stage)
|Certification for compliance with the ISO 50001 Energy management standard by Mikhailovsky GOK, Lebedinsky GOK, and Ural Steel
||All Metalloinvest enterprises have been certified for compliance with ISO 50001 Energy management
||Continual confirmation of compliance with environmental management systems
|Confirmation of compliance with the environmental management systems
||External audits confirmed compliance of the environmental management systems / integrated management systems with the requirements of ISO 14001:2015
|Improved environmental indicators
|Continued work to reduce the environmental impact, including by modernising production facilities
For more details, see the sections Material Resources Use, Emissions, Air Protection and Climate Strategy, and Energy Consumption and Efficiency.
- Increased material reuse rate
- Increased waste utilisation rate and reduced waste disposal rate
- Reduced emissions of solid particles (dust) into the atmosphere
- Introduction and modernisation of in-house generation technologies in order to reduce energy consumption and reduce energy consumption costs
- Increased material resource reuse rate
- Research work on reactive power compensation
- Overall decrease in dust air pollution due to a reduction in dust-forming areas
- Reduced negative environmental impact during the operation of the shot-blasting unit of the metal conditioning site and during the transportation of oxidised and metallised pellets
- Decrease in harmful air pollutant emissions from emission sources of the blast furnace shop
|Environmental strategy and planning
- Updating existing policies with provisions on how to interact with specially protected natural areas.
- Developing measures to reduce direct greenhouse gas emissions and increase carbon capture.